STORY at Macy’s Houston Galleria and Memorial City to Deliver Outdoor Experience
Outdoor STORY brings the outdoors indoors in partnership with DICK’S Sporting Goods and Miracle-Gro®
STORY at Macy’s, the always changing “store to explore” within 36 Macy’s locations nationwide, including Macy’s Houston Galleria and Macy’s Memorial City in Houston, unveils its second experiential concept: Outdoor STORY.
A collaboration with DICK’S Sporting Goods and Miracle-Gro®, this adventure filled story opens today and runs until September, offering Macy’s customers an outdoor-inspired playground that places an editorial focus on entertaining, bringing the outside indoors, as well as recreational activities.
STORY at Macy’s explores the theme through a mix of curated merchandise from more than 70 brands, dynamic store design, and community-focused event programming which range from indoor gardening workshops to outdoor activities such as kayaking on the Hudson River.
To bring some outdoor experts to the table, STORY at Macy’s teamed up with DICK’S and Miracle-Gro. What better way to bring the outdoors to life than through inspired, exclusive merchandise that calls you to get outside and then to bring the splendor of nature to your indoor spaces through a range of plants, indoor gardens and curated products.
At all locations nationwide, STORY will host a range of dynamic indoor and outdoor activities.
Over the span of two months, STORY at Macy’s will program more than 250 events taking place at 36 locations nationwide. Highlights include herb garden planting, planter customization workshops, terrarium making classes, tie-dye t-shirt making tutorials, cornhole tournaments and barbecue cooking classes that will feature a make your own custom BBQ sauce station.
- Saturday July 13, 12 to 5 p.m. : Pick Up Games with DICK’S Sporting Goods. Press play and join us for a festival of summer games with the ultimate cornhole tournament. We’re bringing the outdoors in and playing this backyard favorite to give you a chance to compete for fun prizes.
- Wednesday, July 24, 6:30 p.m.: Floral Pressing + Journal Making Workshop with Miracle-Gro. Creativity is in bloom! Learn to use nature as a means of self-expression and to press flowers like a pro. Each guest will start a journal at this workshop and will be able to continue the lesson as they add their own flowers in the future.
- Wednesday, July 31, 6:30 p.m.: Herb Garden Planting + Customization Workshop with Miracle-Gro. Roll up your sleeves and create your own customized mini herb garden at this hands-on workshop. Choose your edible herbs, decorate your pots using paint, tape, and chalk, and take home your very own mini garden.
- Wednesday, August 7, 6:30 p.m.: Bottle Service BBQ Sauce Making. Join us to turn up the heat and discover how to combine ingredients to create your very own BBQ sauce. We’ll be experimenting with flavor profiles, spices, and bases to create the ultimate summer sauce at this hands on cooking workshop.
- Wednesday, August 14, 6:30 p.m.: Terrarium Building Bar with Miracle-Gro. Bring the desert vibes indoors! Create a customized terrarium at our build your own terrarium bar and choose from an assortment of mini cacti and succulents and learn everything you need to know to keep your plants healthy and happy.
- Saturday, August 17, 3 p.m.: Up Up and Away: Kite Customization. Join us for this hands on customization workshop and add your personal touches to ensure your kite stands out in the sky.
- Saturday, August 24, 3 p.m.: DIY Days: Plant and Flower Tie-dye Workshop. Draw color from the earth and tie-dye basics using natural dyes and flower petals. Craft your own one-of-a kind tie-dye wonder using beets, turmeric, and indigo. Plus, add unique patterns by folding colorful petals into the mix.
ABOUT OUTDOOR STORY
Outdoor STORY marks a set of firsts for Macy’s, as the national department store partners with the nation’s largest sporting goods retailer, DICK’S, and the category leader in gardening, Miracle-Gro to bring the theme to life.
“When Rachel Shechtman founder of STORY came to me with the concept I paused, because I wouldn’t have thought about partnering with another retailer to sell outdoor products at Macy’s. As she presented her ideas and the merchandise her team was envisioning, it made a lot of sense. I reached out to Ed Stack, chairman & CEO of DICK’S, knowing that this would be a first for them as well to share their exclusive private brand assortment in another major retailer. He also saw the creative vision. We had the deal done and partnership launched in less than two months,” shared Jeff Gennette, chairman and CEO of Macy’s, Inc.
Outdoor STORY will further support the Macy’s brand experience team’s ‘test and learn’ approach via a variety of cross-merchandising strategies and event programming that showcases the community of each brand.
DICK’S Sporting Goods and Miracle-Gro were attracted to the opportunity to bring their respective brands to life in a highly-shareable setting, a defining feature of STORY at Macy’s, as recently evidenced by its launch concept, Color STORY.
David Stark Design once again brings an ambitious creative vision to the spaces, taking customers on an outdoor adventure through lush greenery, playful landscapes, and endlessly Instagram friendly moments, including kidpreneur Mikaila Ulmer’s Me & the Bees™ lemonade stand at Herald Square. After the success of its popular spectrum installation in Color STORY, Current by GE will be back for Outdoor STORY.
For this theme, Current by GE’s Tetra contour lighting will highlight ‘greenhouses’ on the main floor of Herald Square, guiding customers through a fauna circus on the mezzanine.
For more information on STORY at Macy’s locations and for a listing of events by store, please visit macys.com/STORY.
PHOTOS COURTESY OF MACY’S