Don’t Miss the Virtual Earth Day Festival Live From Hope Farms on Weds., April 22nd
Recipe for Success Foundation Celebrates Earth Day’s 50th Anniversary on Facebook Live
The fifth annual Recipe for Success Foundation Earth Day Festival at Hope Farms will be broadcasted live on April 22nd from 9AM to 2PM. Supporting Earth Day’s traditional ReUse, ReNew, ReCycle theme, the virtual family friendly festival will be streaming live on Facebook from the Foundation’s seven-acre urban farm located just minutes from downtown Houston.
The celebration, which marks Earth Day’s 50th Anniversary, offers a deliciously festive opportunity for young and old to connect the health of our planet with the natural cycle food from seed to plate – all from the comfort of their own home. Earth Day is the unofficial birthday of Hope Farms, which turns four this month.
“We love sharing Hope Farms’ birthday to celebrate Earth Day with the world,” said Recipe For Success Founder & CEO Gracie Cavnar. “We look forward to welcoming guests from every time zone to our virtual party when we will explore the connection between cooking, gardening, locally-grown food and a healthy planet. With the recent stay at home orders, people are now cooking at home more and seeking solace in gardening. The Hope Farms team and our collaborators are excited to be able to share our knowledge of growing and preparing deliciously healthy food as part of our salute to the fiftieth anniversary of Earth Day.”
A full schedule of activities for all ages include virtual Cook the Harvest demos, gardening classes, farm walks & Q&A with our farmers, visits with our farm animals, yoga, and story time. On a separate feed, you can watch the Hope Farms LIVE Chick Cam as a new clutch of Baby Chicks hatch. The Chick Cam will go all day and into the evening.
Opening amidst the serenity of mornings on the farm, Zeenath Selvakumar will lead a live yoga class from 9:00 until 10:00. Viewers will then be able to walk the farm and ask Farmer Manager Nick DeBrock questions, take gardening lessons, and meet the farm animals and bees with Director of Agricultural Education, Tyler Froberg and learn more about what Hope Farms is doing to teach, empower and inspire healthy eating.
Throughout the day there will cooking demos that connect with the featured gardening classes. For instance, following ‘Let’s Plant a Salsa Garden,’ Chef Omar Pereney will demonstrate how to make fresh salsa. Chef Erin O’Leary Stewart of DEFINE Foods will showcase ingredients harvested from a Spring Victory Garden in her demonstration and Kelli Bunch of KB Table will use squash, corn and green beans in her dish, which is what is grown in a Three Sisters Garden.
The festival will conclude with a reading by Gracie Cavnar of Thank you, Earth: A Love Letter to Our Planet by April Pulley Sayre after which viewers will be encouraged to tune into the LIVE Chick Cam for the rest of the day.
Full Schedule (USA Central time): Earth Day Festival Live from Hope Farms, a Facebook Live streaming event
- 8:00 AM – 8:00 PM – LIVE Chick Cam: Let’s Get Ready for Baby Chicks
- 9:00 AM – 10:00 AM – Great the Day, Yoga with Zeenath Selvakumar
- 10:00 AM – 10:15 AM – Happy Earth Day with Recipe for Success Founder, Gracie Cavnar
- 10:15 AM – 10:30 AM – Farm Walk Q&A with farm manager Nick DeBrock
- 10:30 AM – 10:45 AM – Let’s Plant a Salsa Garden with Tyler Froberg, Director of Agricultural Training
- 10:45 AM – 11:00 AM – Cook the Harvest with Chef Omar Pereney
- 11:00 AM – 11:15 AM – Meet Valentino and the Girls-the Hope Farms Chickens with Tyler Froberg
- 11:15 AM – 11:30 AM – Farm Walk Q&A with Nick DeBrock
- 11:30 AM – 11:45 AM – Let’s Plant a Spring Victory Garden with Tyler Froberg,
- 11:45 AM – 12:00 PM – Cook the Harvest with Chef Erin O’Leary Stewart, DEFINE Foods
- 12:00 PM – 12:15 PM – Meet the Hope Farms Hive Bees with Cyrus Nasr & Sandi Murray
- 12:15 PM – 12:30 PM – Farm Walk Q&A with Nick DeBrock
- 12:30 PM – 12:45 PM – Let’s Make Compost with Nick DeBrock
- 12:45 PM – 1:00 PM – Cook the Harvest with Kelli Bunch, KB Table
- 1:00 PM – 1:15 PM – Let’s Plant a Three Sisters Garden with Tyler Froberg
- 1:15 PM – 1:30 PM – Farm Walk Q&A with Nick DeBrock
- 1:30 PM – 1:45 PM – Meet the Hope Farms Baby Goats with Tyler Froberg
- 1:45 PM – 2:00 PM – Story Time: Thank you, Earth: A Love Letter To Our Planet by April Pulley Sayre; Read by Gracie Cavnar
For more information, please visit www.recipe4success.org or email firstname.lastname@example.org.