Gift giving ideas for last minute shoppers has something for everyone
Time is getting shorter and shorter for buying presents for those special people in your lives. Houston retailers and restaurants are geared up to take care of that list right now.
SOMETHING SPECIAL FOR YOUR FOODIE LOVER:
Celebrate the Holidays with Chef Hugo Ortega at Hugo’s, Caracol and Backstreet Café: Skip the long lines at the mall this holiday season by ordering gourmet gift sets from award-winning Hugo’s and Caracol restaurants this holiday season. The holiday gift box will bring a taste of true Mexico to its recipients. Each box includes: One signed copy of Hugo Ortega’s Street Food of Mexico, named by Saveur magazine as one of just six essential Mexican cookbooks; One of Hugo’s restaurant’s housemade chocolate tablets with which to make Hugo’s Mexican Hot Chocolate (or mole!); One molinillo, a traditional Mexican turned wood whisk, used to mix and froth hot beverages such as hot chocolate; Two mugs in which to enjoy your Hugo’s Mexican Hot Chocolate.
Cost for the gift sets are $60 each plus tax. The sets are available at Hugo’s and Caracol restaurants and can also be ordered online at www.hugosrestaurant.net and www.caracol.net. Orders placed after December 21 cannot be guaranteed for delivery by December 25. Local orders can be picked up at the restaurants, but please give advance notice for orders of 5 or more sets. For more information, call Hugo’s at 713-524-7744 or visit www.HugosRestaurant.net; or call Caracol at 713-622-9996 or visit www.caracol.net.
WHISKEY SPECIALITIES FOR FABULOUS COCKTAILS:
- Rhetoric 21-Year-Old Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey: Rhetoric 21-Year-Old Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey is the sixth release from the Orphan Barrel Whiskey Distilling Company and the second in the Rhetoric series of progressively aged whiskeys. 90.2 proof, Suggested Retail Price $100
- Blade and Bow Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey: Whiskey consumers will be able to take home piece of history with Diageo’s newest offering which pays homage to the artful passion and renowned craftsmanship of the legendary Stitzel-Weller Distillery. 91 proof, Suggested Retail $50
- Blade and Bow 22-Year-Old Limited Release Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey: Winning “Best Straight Bourbon” and a Double Gold medal at the 2015 San Francisco Spirits Competition, it is a limited release whiskey that pays homage to the legendary Stitzel-Weller Distillery.. 92 proof, Suggested Retail $150
- W. Harper Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey: The unique offering commemorates the original whiskeys produced by the brand as it’s reintroduced in the United States with a commitment to authenticity that only 142 years of experience can provide. 82 proof, Suggested Retail $35
- W. Harper 15-Year-Old Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey: This iconic whiskey is recommended to be enjoyed on the rocks or neat to truly appreciate the full flavor profile. 86 proof, Suggested Retail $75
- Bulleit 10-Year-Old: Aged in charred American white oak, Bulleit distillers were thrilled to find the additional years resulted in a special expression of Bulleit bourbon that provides a rich, deep, incredibly smooth sipping experience. Suggested Retail $45
- George Dickel Rye Whisky: George Dickel Rye is a straight rye small-batch whisky offering a 95% rye mash whiskey. 90 proof, Suggested Retail $25
FABULOUS ONE OF A KIND GIFT-GIVING IDEAS:
- Houston Food Bank Holiday Cards (print & electronic)—Giving and Giving Back: Spread holiday cheer and do something good with your gift-giving by making a donation to the Houston Food Bank. Houston Food Bank’s holiday card program makes gift-giving easy, and provides hope to thousands. This year, there are two card types and 8 card designs from which to choose! And you can choose from printed cards or e-cards. Your donations can make a big impact – for each $1 donated to the Houston Food Bank, they can provide 3 full meals to a hungry neighbor in need. Details at http://houstonfoodbank.org/holidaycards. For questions and additional information, please contact Fanny Brown at email@example.com or 713-547-8644.
- Hotel Sorella at CITYCENTRE: Don’t miss their Linobello signature scent spray ($30) and candle ($38). Also until December 24, join in the fun with starting rates of $161 plus thoughtful, signature amenities, ranging from complimentary holiday drinks in the bar to deliveries of sweet treats and hot cocoa.
- BAIRD & BAIRD: 24k plated brass with black onyx clutches available at bairdandbairdonline.com Retail Price: $2,750 (small), $3,800 (large)
- CLARIDGE + KING: His is Hers Shirt – Claridge + King is a Ready To Wear line inspired by menswear. Available at Kuhl-Linscomb at 424 W Alabama St. Retail Price: $136
- MAIDA’s Leather valet trays branded with the state of Texas or your alma mater. Initials are also a choice. Available at Maida’s Belts & Buckles at 5727 Westheimer Rd # K. Retail Price: $38 for pre-branded trays, $48 for custom initials
- MARIQUITA MASTERSON: Gorgeous black chunk necklace with gold leaf, and pendant set in vermeil. Available at Mariquita Masterson at 2505 River Oaks Blvd and mariquitamasterson.com. Retail Price: $2,150
- STAG Provisions for Men’s Scrimshaw Knife Kit – Comes with all the materials and instructions to carve and personalize the handle of the knife. Available at 2614 Westheimer Rd.
**photos courtesy of retailers