Rodeo Houston Delivers a Show Like No Other with New Features Plus Great Experiences for 2018
Rodeo Houston is off and kicking, so get the scoop on what’s new and how to plan your visit with all the things to do and see!
For 2018, the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo has several new additions for visitors to experience during the concert performance and show when you come. Take a look at what to expect:
Garth Brooks will be the first entertainer to perform on RODEOHOUSTON’S new rotating concert stage, debuting in 2018.
The star-shaped stage is complete with:
- a 48-foot diameter rotating performance area, expanding the footprint of the previous stage by 8 feet;
- five star points extending a length of 36 feet each, which can be raised or lowered individually or simultaneously;
- 434 lights, four times as many lights as the previous stage;
- a laser-guided positioning system which allows the stage to be positioned in the precise center of NRG Stadium every night; and
- a 28-foot tall, motion-controlled video backdrop.
Tip to tip, the new stage is 126 feet wide, and was engineered and manufactured by TAIT, the leader in entertainment automation technology. This world-class stage features the latest advancements to boost concert presentation and fan experience. Visit YouTube for a video on the new stage.
New for 2018, is the NavCam, an aerial camera that will be used in NRG Stadium during the rodeo and concert performance. The NavCam is controlled by the same technology as the new RODEOHOUSTON stage. This new camera will provide camera angles and perspectives that we have not had in the past for rodeo and concert. This technology is similar to what is used in the NFL.
In previous years, open captioning has been provided in NRG Stadium on displays in the northwest and southeast corners of the stadium. In 2018, in addition to the captioning on the displays, captioning will also be available on patron’s mobile devices. Users can visit rodeohouston.com/captions to see real-time captioning of announcer’s spoken words and song lyrics during concerts.
LYFT & RIDE SHARING
Lyft is the official rideshare provider for the 2018 Show. The new drop-off and pick-up location for ride sharing in 2018 will be located in the Green Lot. Entrance for the location is Gate 13D off Murworth from the north bound lanes of Main Street (only access to the lot). There is no left turn lane access allowed from the south bound lanes of Main Street.
PLAN YOUR VISIT WITH ALL THE FIXINS’
CARNIVAL RIDES & GAMES
- Extreme – Extreme is a velocity swing ride that swings you from side to side, reaching heights of 65 feet while rotating.
- Flying Jumbo – This family ride provides interactive controls that allows each rider the ability to raise or lower each elephant.
- Konga – The Konga is a jungle themed bench ride, with high speed side to side movement, with a water feature.
- Rockin’ Rodeo – This two story mirror maze features a rodeo theme on the front, a classic glass house on the first floor, trick mirrors on the second floor and a spiral slide to the end the experience.
- Big Water & Ramp Water: These group games allow multiple players to shoot water into targets, and the first one to reach the top wins big prizes!
- Retired Stage — Picture yourself on the stage used for 30+ years! A piece of the stage will be on display in Show Pride, located in the lobby of NRG Center on the west end.
- “Bowlegged H” — A 15-foot-tall “Bowlegged H” logo will be located on the northeast side of NRG Stadium, providing the perfect photo opportunity for fans to commemorate their visit to the 2018 Rodeo.
- The Four Pillars of Rodeo by Gonzo247 – Gonzo247 is creating a four-sided, custom art piece for the
Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, highlighting the four pillars of the Rodeo — Agriculture, Education, Entertainment and Western Heritage.
- Selfie Frames — Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo volunteers will be stationed at the entrance
gates and throughout the grounds with selfie frames and helping fans with their photos.
- Art: William K. Stidham – heART
- Clothing and Shoes: Rockwell Tharp
- Home, Gifts & Garden: Fire & Pine
- Jewelry: Ar*temis Designs
- Leather Goods: Vintage Boho Loves Louis
- Specialties: Driftless Studios
- Specialty Foods:
– House of Pistachios
– Big Creek Farms
- Western Specialties:
-Dark Canyon Iron Ranch
The Lone Star Market: The Lone Star Market is a new outdoor shopping location, located on the west side of the NRG Astrodome, featuring new local businesses throughout the Rodeo. A variety of products will be featured from leather goods to food options, to art pieces. Be sure to see what’s new at the Lone Star Market each time you visit!
- In the Carnival Midway
Get Fried – Get Fried includes hot and fresh chicken on-a-stick, fresh cut fries that may be topped with garlic, truffle oil, chili and cheese. Get Fried also serves fruity pebbles shrimp on-a-stick, jumbo grilled chicken and beef kabobs, and fresh squeezed lemonade.
Totally Baked – Totally Baked features freshly baked buckets of cookies, giant ice cream sandwiches and dippers cups of cookies with hand-dipped ice cream topped with caramel or chocolate syrups.
Cookie flavors include chocolate chip, peanut butter, oatmeal raisin and macadamia nut. Totally baked also serves ice cold milk, hot coffee and Frappuccino.
For more information, go to www.rodeohouston.com
Featured photo credit: V. Sweeten