Houston Celebrates National Bourbon Heritage Month this September with Events and New Releases
Discover a Fistful of Bourbon, Treaty Oak, Whiskies of the World and the Whiskey & Wine Festival
Looking for a new whiskey?
FISTFUL OF BOURBON and TREATY OAK MEETS THE DEMAND
Treaty Oak offers Red Handed Bourbon, a thoughtfully curated blend of their favorite distilleries in Kentucky and Virginia. It’s a Double Gold medal recipient from The Fifty Best. The Taste includes Woody, Rich Pepper, Fruity, Cherry, Crisp Green Apple High Rye Spice.
Fistful of Bourbon, a blend of five straight American bourbons – literally a fistful – aged at least two years. Find five distinct flavors: balanced and sweet; green, leafy floral notes; soft spices and hints of nutmeg; buttery toffee; cinnamon and licorice.
Launched first in Texas, it’s blended and bottled at 45% ABV with an SRP of $24.99 for 750ml and $2.99 for 50ml. Fistful of Bourbon is a 100 percent straight American whiskey blended by William Grant & Sons Master Blender Brian Kinsman, who was awarded the 2017 ISC Master Distiller of the Year, and Kelsey McKechnie, William Grant & Sons Whisk(e)y Blender.
Give it a try with these specially developed cocktail recipes:
- Fistful Smash: Ingredients– 2 parts Fistful of Bourbon, ½ part grapefruit oleo, ½ part fresh lemon juice, 10 loose mint leaves. Directions: Combine ingredients and shake well. Strain over crushed ice. Garnish with a mint sprig and grapefruit twist.
- Fistful Old Fashioned: Ingredients–2 parts Fistful of Bourbon, ½ part simple syrup, 2 dashes Angostura bitters. Directions: Combine ingredients and stir over ice. Strain over a large ice cube in a rocks glass. Garnish with a large grapefruit peel.
- Espresso Tonic: Ingredients: 2 parts Fistful of Bourbon, ¾ part Cold Brew Coffee, ½ part Simple Syrup, 2 parts Tonic Water. Directions: Combine ingredients (except tonic) and shake well. Strain over ice in a rocks glass. Top with tonic. Garnish with a lemon twist.
- photo credit: V. Sweeten
WHISKIES OF THE WORLD EXPO at SILVER STREET STUDIOS on SEPT. 22
Whiskies of the World® Expo brings together distillers from around the world to share their finest spirits and knowledge with whisky enthusiasts.
- Hundreds of whiskies to sample (Scotch, Bourbon, American Craft, Malts, Grains, …)
- Scottish, Irish, American, Texan, Canadian, Indian, Australian …
- Meet Distillers and Brand Ambassadors
- Whisky Masterclasses: A guided tasting and educational experience.
- Whisky mixology
- Cigar and Whisky pairing
Please note attendance at this event is limited to persons aged 21 or older. Photo I.D. showing age is required.
VIP hour is from 5- 6 p.m.; General admission from 6- 9 p.m.
Tickets are $145 for VIP, and general admission is $120.00. Tickets include entrance to the main tasting hall, food for pairing, a whisky tasting glass, a cigar Cut and Smoke (for an additional $5). VIP includes VIP only pours. A whisky seminar based on availability, a cigar Cut and Smoke.
Limited VIPS guests will also have easier access to brand ambassadors, distillers and blenders as well as whiskey seminars.
Also available are Master Classes. These are a 45 minute journey into the Art of Whisky with guided tastings of four to six whiskies. Often included are expressions not offered in the main tasting hall.
More information at www.eventbrite.com/e/whiskies-of-the-world-houston-2018-tickets-41438018228.
WHISKEY & WINE FESTIVAL on FRIDAY, SEPT. 28TH at INDIA HOUSE on 8888 W Bellfort Blvd. at 7-10 p.m.
Join experts of the finest wineries and distilleries as they serve a variety of samples from all over the country. Whiskey and Wine, not your thing? Don’t fear!
There will be other spirits available including Tequila, Cider, and Bourbon from local entrepreneurs. In addition, we will have an EXCLUSIVE GRAND TASTING of bites from local restaurants.
A portion of the proceeds will be donated to THE STOP HUMAN TRAFFICKING INITIATIVE.
VIP TICKETS includes early admission at 6 p.m. and a WHISKEY & WINE festival swag bag sponsored by YELP. General admission ticket prices are $80, and VIP tickets are $250. No tickets will be sold at the door.
VIP Patrons also can sample ALL of the products while having one-on-one time with the Spirit EXPERTS & CHEFS. Be interviewed on the red carpet to be entered in raffle for EXCLUSIVE PRIZES.
Entertainment will be live music and art vendors. There’ll be selection of cigars and many amenities to enhance your experience. More information is available on their Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/htxwhiskeyevents.